Burbank School District 111 is proud to announce its Second Annual St. Baldrick’s and Locks of Love event. St. Baldrick’s is an internationally recognized charitable organization dedication to funding research into lifesaving treatments for children diagnosed with cancer. Cancer has become the number one cause of death for children under the age of 18. Every three minutes a child finds out that they have cancer. These diagnoses change children’s lives permanently, and these cancers, and their treatments can dramatically effect a child’s life for years. Since its establishment in 2005 St. Baldrick’s has supported cancer research with over $150 million in grants. Last year the organization raised nearly $40 million, including over $20,000 raised locally in District 111.
St. Baldrick’s draws its name from a combination of St. Patrick’s Day when many of their events take place and BALD, which refers to the organization’s call for those who are willing to undergo a public head shaving ceremony to show solidarity for those with cancer. Our head shaving event will take place on Wednesday, March 18th at Liberty Junior High School. At this event we will also be collecting ponytail donations to send to the Locks of Love charity which provides wigs to those in need
In order to make this year’s event a success we are expanding our fundraiser throughout the district, and will be organizing fundraising teams in each of the district’s eight schools. We will be asking students, staff members, community members and anyone who would like to support our event to stand up to cancer and help us fundraise, donate their ponytail or volunteer to shave their heads as a sign of support for our mission.
If you, your child, a friend or family member would like to join our event, please read the attached materials and return a signed permission slip to your child’s school. Volunteers may also sign up online by visiting our event webpage at www.stbaldricks.org/events/bsd111 and clicking the blue “Join Us” button. Shavees and ponytail donors who raise at least $50.00 will receive an official St. Baldrick’s shirt at our event. We will also accept walk-ins for ponytail donations at the door.
We also have several sponsorship opportunities for local businesses to support our event. Interested representatives can reach our Sponsorship Coordinator, John Gawel via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 708-952-3255 ext. 55122.
Thank you for your support of this important mission. If you have any questions about our event please contact your child’s school or our Event Coordinator, David Feldstein (email@example.com) or by phone at 708-952-3255 ext. 55172.
Check us out on Facebook...https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Baldricks-Foundation-Burbank-111/407542779390487
Information for Volunteers, Shavees and Ponytail Donors
Registering with St. Baldrick’s
After completing the attached Permission Slip and the Participant Agreement each volunteer should register online.
- Log on to www.stbaldricks.org/events/bsd111
- Click “Join Us”
- Click “I need to Create a New Account”
- Create a Username and Password, and Complete the Personal Information Screen
- Under role please select “Shavee” for shavees or “Volunteer” for Locks of Love
Once you complete your registration you will have access to your own personal donation website, where you can accept credit card donations. Feel free to tie this page to your personal Facebook or Twitter page and share links to this page with friends and relatives. Donors may also search for your page by name at www.stbaldricks.org
Cash Donations must be documented on your Cash Donation Envelope which will be mailed to your child’s home address and must be returned to your child’s school or our shaving event. You can also enter Cash online in the “Donations Menu” of your Member Page by clicking “What do I do with my Cash”
Checks are also accepted and must be made out to “St. Baldrick’s Foundation” Please collect them using your Check Donation Envelope and bring it with to our event.
Important Information for Shavees
- All head shaving will be performed by a licensed barber
- Barbers will use clippers, not razors to shave your child’s head
- If you child wishes the barber to use a clipper guard, they may, please inform the barber on the day of the ceremony
- All donations must be properly accounted for.
Important Information for Locks of Love Donors
- Hair may be colored or permed but NOT BLEACHED
- Donated hair must measure at least 10 inches in a ponytail
- Hair that is less than 10 inches may be donated, but it will be sold to other wig manufacturers to support the efforts of Locks of love
- If you child chooses to participate in Locks of Love, please complete the attached Locks of Love Permission Slip, not the St. Baldrick’s participant agreement
- Hair Donors may also fundraise, if so please follow the registration instructions above and when registering online select “Volunteer”