Registration » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Below, you'll find frequently asked questions that will help with the student registration process for Burbank School District 111.

Who is the online registration for?

For new and current Burbank students who want to attend a Burbank School District 111 school.

What grade level is the registration for?

Open for Kindergarten through 8th Grade students.

Why cant I register my return student?

Some district students are required to register annually.
This includes:
    • Currently enrolled students entering 6th grade.
    • Families who have received a required registration notice.
    • If your address residency does not pass CLEAR (Public records technology platform).
    • Families who do not complete the online application for current student registration periods will NOT be automatically enrolled for the upcoming school year and will have to register as a new student to continue the enrollment in District 111.

What is a snapcode?

Snapcode is a unique code that changes each year and is linked to each student's personal information.

What do I do if I never received a Snapcode?

Snap codes are sent electronically to the email address you registered to create the online account. If you have misplaced or have not received the student's snapcode, please contact your studnet's School or District Office to obtain a code.

How do I know my student residence is in the Burbank School District 111 Boundary?

Please see Burbank School District 111 Boundary Map.

What do I need for proof of residency?

Proof of residency is verified through CLEAR Batch, a public recording technology platform. 
If your address does not pass CLEAR, you will be notified by our District Registrar and will be required to bring in the following additional documentation to our district office to verify residency.
Category I (at least one document must be presented):
  • Mortgage Papers identifying name of child's parent / guardian
  • Real estate tax bill identifying name of child's parent / guardian
  • Copy of lease signed by landlord identifying all tenant's
Category II
  • Signed and notarized residency affidavit from homeowner* (with Category I and III from homeowner and Category III from parent)
* Note: An interview may be conducted by the Business Department.
Category III (at least two current documents must be presented
  • Driver’s License or State ID Card
  • Electric/Gas Utility Bill
  • Water/Republic/Internet Utility Bill
  • Automobile Registration/City Sticker receipt
  • Automobile Insurance (must show address)
  • Homeowner’s/Renter’s Insurance

Are there any other required documentation?

In addition to the residency documents, anyone seeking to enroll a student in the district must present the following documentation to our District Registrar:
  • Student’s Birth Certificate (original or certified copy issued by the County)
  • Parent/Guardian Driver’s License or ID
  • Transfer paperwork
  • Current report card/Special Services (IEP, ELL , Resource)
  • Current physical exam (no longer than a year old)

What do I do after completing the online registration?

The registration process is not complete until all documentation is turned into our District Registrar at our District Office. Please call or email to make an appointment to turn in documents.

Who do I contact for additional assistance?

You may contact the District Office at 708-496-0500 or [email protected] for additional assistance.